Today was the first time in a while that I had one of my favorite recurring dreams...

I don't remember how I got here. I never do. And even though I inevitably pause and try to recollect even entering the building, I cannot. Even the looks of the exterior evade my memory completely. Maybe I came in through one of the grates.

I'm not sure what to call them...grates, tubes, drains. Yeah, they kind of remind me of huge shower drains, excep that one end is always uncovered, and water frothing and shooting down a black hole that fades to black before you can see it turn. But, oh God, turn they do. I found that out the first time I dove headfirst down one of them. Like usual, when I 'come to' in the dream, a beautiful girl is waiting for me in the first room. I get the feeling that the front doors are right behind me, but I never bother to turn and look, although that might answer my earlier question. Nevertheless, I stand transfixed by the girl. I think she is everything I want in a girl. She has short, black hair and deep brown eyes from which she peers at me without any real recognizable emotion..except when she smiles, and murmurs in my ear before I dive. I think she's my masseuse. I've never had a masseuse.

Like always, there are no other doors in the front room. Only a circle of splashing drains. I imagine I can hear the shouts of people in them; a few are silent. There are a few others in the room, I know. I don't know who or how many, though. I don't even know if they are diving. I stand transfixed by the girl. She's wearing a tight-fitting, black long-sleeved shirt and a short khaki skirt with black stockings underneath.

She never really takes her eyes off of me, and I'll be damned if I so much as consider breaking my gaze, that is, until I decide to dive. Despite her, I never hesitate long. I think she wants me to go. Sometimes I want her to go first, and this is one of those times. I think about asking her... But this place is silent, except for the splashing and her murmurs just before.

Misting water tingles on my legs as I stand before one of the drains, and I realize for the first time they are bare. I stare at the opening for a while, and then I feel her at my side. Just before I dive, and my world goes black and water poars down

my ears
,
my eyes
,

my throat

...just before the roar deafens me..I hear her murmer

YOU ARE WATER




thanks to Portishead and Mono for making dreams vivid.