At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, hacks are creative pranks which take place fairly frequently around campus. A good hack is non-destructive, entertaining, and well-engineered. The hacking phenomenon has been around since at least the 1920's, when cars and cows appeared on the roof of the East Campus dormitory. Today, there is a lively oral tradition describing the best and most interesting hacks from the past century. Most years, students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology pull at least a few hacks, usually including objects on the Great Dome or games with lights on the Green Building.

Hacks are not class pranks, but are instead the product of various groups of students working together. There are self-enforced rules among the community, known as Hacking Ethics, to prevent destructive "hacks", injury, and theft.

Also associated with hacking, the practice of exploring interesting places such as roofs and tunnels. (The appropriate verb for hacks is "to pull a hack", not "hack".) There is a great deal of overlap between the two varieties of hackers.

For more information on hacks, visit the MIT web site at http://web.mit.edu, read the Journal for the Institute of Hacks, TomFoolery and Pranks, published by the MIT Press, or ask your friendly neighborhood roof and tunnel hacker.