Pundits and politicians are concerned that the young people of Canada and the United States have lost interest in politics. This they deduce from the fact that a large percentage of young people don't vote.

I wonder if they have considered that not voting can be a decision -- an informed decision, no less. Maybe we should be amazed at how few people pay attention to what politicians actually do, and this fact we deduce from the fact that they do vote.

Here's what I propose, to increase voter turnout among "young people": Put "none of the above" on each and every ballot, as an option. Count those votes, along with those for candidates. If more than 50 per cent of the people vote for "none of the above", the election is held again. This time, none of the original candidates are allowed to run. This continues until the people find someone they want to vote for.

I can hear the objection: The electoral system wouldn't function. Democracy would grind to a halt. But think about this: isn't it true that democracy should grind to a halt when over 50 per cent of the people don't think that any of the people offering to represent them are worthy of the job?

Piq: Your objection is interesting, but just read the above paragraph. Could you respond to that, please? You say that the president would lack popular support. Does this mean that the president, as it stands now, does have popular support?