A focus of successive, sustained pressure on a part of the body creates a bedsore. As the phenomenon, known as decubitus uclers, was observed in patients that are bed-ridden, the term bedsore was obvious. The actual result is much more gruesome than a sore, if left untreated. The skin actually deteriorates to the point of exposing underlying tissue, and if left unchecked, often prove fatal.

Malnutrition and dehydration speed the process, so the elderly unable to afford good health care/nursing homes are those most affected, followed by patients in comas and other debilitating conditions.

To prevent them, the patient must be sure to shift their position often, and use pillows to spread the pressure. Exercise (in the case of non-coma patients) greatly reduces the chance of bedsores. The application of certain lotions will keep the skin soft and supple, further preventing the condition from developing.

If all this fails, immediate emergency treatment should be sought out, as the bedsore will most likely prove fatal for the elderly, if left untreated.

Bedsores are also a sure sign of an understaffed facility, and the necessary complaints should be made, if a friend or relative suffers from them.