Thoughts on the concept of the living wage.
Being a recent grad post-boom and landing a job
, finally I've been thinking of this term lately, "a living wage". A living wage
, I would argue, is a wage that allows the following life style
- You can pay rent on a one bedroom apartment and don't need a roommate.
- You can afford to eat out at a sit down restaurant once a week and see a movie.
- You can save at least 10% of your pay check.
- You can afford to fly some place and take a 1 week holiday once every other year or once ever three years.
- You can afford to buy a new piece of clothing once a month (a new blouse/top/shirt one month, a new skirt/pair of pants the next month, etc.)
- You can afford basic cable (no HBO).