The man behind cinema

Biography

Louis Jean Lumière(pronounced lwe zhän lümyer). Invented the Cinematograph(along with Auguste Lumière, his brother). Actually it was called Cinématographe originally. Louis was a biologist and industrial, and, as you may guess, he was French. He was also a photographer who used to work on Lyon, and together with his brother, developed remarkable work on photography. One example of this is the autochrome, the first viable colour photography process.

His Cinematograph was built in 1895, and in December 28 of this same year he set the first public cinema presentation. It was at Paris and featured the workers going out of Lumière's industry after a working day. The autochrome, a trichromic photography plate was invented back in 1903.

Many factors led the Lumière Brothers(Lumiere Brothers) to the invention of the Cinematograph. One of them was their father, Antoine Lumière, a painter turned photographer. Louis dedicated his youth studying the problem of commercially satisfactory photographic film. Suceeding so well in this effort when only 18 years old he was aided financially by his father, and, with this help, Louis Jean set a photographic plate factory.

Louis Lumière didn't claim inventing movie making, in fact. His father was the one who was invited to an Edison's Peephole Kinetoscope showing and the Cinematograph was just a boost up of Edison's original invention. In other words, it was a very enhanced version of it, with some features, such as portability, projecting, etc.