I used to think that virtually no one else was awake during this time. It turned out that wasn't true; the people that were asleep were the honest people I wouldn't mind being awake; those prowling about are rarely up to good.

I decided this a few weeks ago when I was sitting on the porch at 1 a.m. with the porch light off.

A few houses down a figure dressed in dark clothing was pacing about near a car. A couple times they went across the street, did something at a car there and returned. I couldn't see what they were doing in the dark- no matter how suspicious they seemed- so I stopped paying attention out of boredom after a few minutes.

I looked back when I heard their car start. They drove in my direction very slowly and completely stopped right in front of my house. I could see into their car when they turned on a light; they were holding a gps in their hand, it'd just been turned on. Their face was revealed as well: a skinny white man, probably 20-25 years old.

After a few minutes of fiddling with the gps he rolled the car slowly away. It was at that point it dawned on me if he had just stolen the gps I should get the license plate number so I walked closer to get a better look. He turned a corner and was gone before I could read the whole thing.

Between this and the drunk kids that keep me awake I really prefer the company of day walkers.