Obviously the above have never attended a Virginia public school.

I've been sitting through that boring little minute since 2nd grade and it never bothered me (this is coming from an atheist). In fact, I was surprised when I found out this was a Virginia thing, I just assumed all schools started the day with a minute of silence. It gets often loud, overcrowded classrooms to shut up for a minute, how is that a bad way to start the day?

I now keep up with the news, flicking from CNN to Fox and back, and haven't heard of any movement to "add" anything to the minute of silence. People who actually want to pray during it can and are happy with that (though they must keep it to themselves, I have yet to hear of anyone actually praying at that time). I personally sit and read or see if I can hold my breath for the whole thing (I can easily). It's only religious if you make it.

I think this is one of those things that is made out to be a lot more than it is, like "under God" in the pledge and "in God we trust" on our money. Sure, it's annoying, but is it really affecting you that much you have to whine about it? Is this any better than certain religions keeping gays from getting married because they don't like it? If it's not hurting you, leave it alone.

Another reason the minute of silence will never turn into school-lead prayer, is simply because of the religious people who want it. They'll never be able to agree on a particular book or prayer, the minute of silence is probably a compromise among them and is as far as they'll get.