Simeon Of Durham
(died on the 14th October, between 1130 and 1138 *)

A twelfth century ecclesiatic and chronicler.

Very little is known of his actual life other than he entered the Benedictine monastery at Jarrow around the year 1071 which was relocated to Durham in 1074 where he took his vows in 1085 or 1086 and later held the office of precentor there. (And hence his name).

He was certainly the author of the Historia ecclesiae Dunelmensis, a History of the Church of Durham (to the year 1096), as well as the Epistola ad Hugonem de archiepiscopis Eboraci, a collection of letters to Hugo, archbishop of York.

In addition the authorship of the Historia regum Anglorum et Danorum a History of the kings of England and Denmark is also generally attributed to him. Despite the doubts expressed regarding the exact nature and extent of this authorship, it is for this work that he is generally remembered and with which his name is irrevocably associated.


* One presumes that this means that the day and month of his death are known, but not the exact year.


SOURCES

The Cambridge History of English and American Literature in 18 Volumes (1907–21).

The Catholic Encyclopedia at http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/