Article V of the

CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA


V. THE CONSTITUTIONAL COURT OF THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA

The Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia shall consist of 11 justices elected by the House of Representatives at the proposal of the House of Counties for a term of eight years from among outstanding jurists, especially judges, public prosecutors, lawyers and university law professors. The Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia shall elect a president for a term of four years.

Justices of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia shall not perform any other public or professional duties. Justices of the Constitutional Court of Croatia shall enjoy the same immunity as Representatives in the Croatian Parliament.

A justice of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia may be relieved of office before the expiry of the term for which he was elected if he requests to be relieved, if he is sentenced to a term of imprisonment, or if he is permanently incapacitated to perform his office, as established by the Court itself.

The Constitutional court of Croatia shall:

  • decide on the conformity of laws with the Constitution;
  • decide on the conformity of other regulations with the Constitution and the law;
  • protect the constitutional freedoms and rights of man and the citizen;
  • decide jurisdictional disputes among legislative, executive and judicial branches;
  • decide, in conformity with the Constitution, on the impeachability of the President of the Republic;
  • supervise the constitutionality of the programs and activities of political parties and may, in conformity with the Constitution, ban their work;
  • supervise the constitutionality and legality of elections and republican referenda, and decide electoral disputes which do not fall within the jurisdiction of courts;
  • conduct other affairs specified by the Constitution.

The Constitutional Court of Croatia shall repeal a law if it finds it to be unconstitutional.
The Constitutional Court of Croatia shall repeal or annul any other regulation if it finds it to be unconstitutional or illegal.

Conditions for the election of justices of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia and the termination of their office, conditions and time-limits for instituting proceedings for the assessment of the constitutionality and legality, procedure and the legal effect of its decisions, protection of the constitutional freedoms and rights of man and the citizen, and other issues important for the performance of duties and work of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia, shall be regulated by the Constitutional Law. The Constitutional Law shall be passed by the procedure determined for amending the Constitution. The internal organization of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Croatia shall be regulated by its rules of procedure.


Text published by The Constitution Society, at http://www.constitution.org/cons/croatia.htm.
(Constitutions are in the Public Domain)