What started off as a letter fired off to the State Press in a moment of irritation (see yesterday's daylog), which I expected never to be seen by any student outside of the editing staff (well, except any ASU students who happen to be noders or active in the Penny Arcade forums) became a guest column when I was called by one of the editors yesterday. Nobody was more surprised than I.

Unfortunately, when it was printed today, I turned to the opinion page to find it under the headline, "Don't Give a Sign You Care". (Never mind that this directly contradicts the first sentence of my last paragraph.) It's obvious to me that whoever wrote that didn't like what I had to say - hell, they could even have been one of the people I was talking about. Now there's a conflict of interests.

What really bothers me about it is that I have the feeling that most people assume the headlines are written by the article writers/columnists. I know I do. And people are going to read that and think that I'm a colossal asshole.

Mind you, I'm the first to admit that I can be quite a jerk, and if someone felt that way after reading my letter, they're entitled. It's just the headline that pisses me off. I'm just an average asshole. That headline makes me look like goatse.

Oh well. Nobody's tried to lynch me or anything... yet. Possibly because the photo I gave is five years old. Also, the e-mail address the paper used in order for people to contact me is a student account I haven't used in over a year, due to heavy spam and the fact that one of those hijacking viruses got to the mail servers, and I got sick of getting e-mails back from various companies I'd never heard of telling me that I'd sent them a virus.

The moral of the story, kids: Having an opinion is bad. Badity bad!