The modern SUF was born into a decade when the class war of the elites against the working class was put into overdrive. Mass unemployment, privatizations, more inhumane immigration policies and a rougher social climate were things that the three SUF clubs which emerged independently of eachother in 1993. The groups in Uppsala, Gävle and the large island of Gotland soon decided to form a federation. The activists wanted more focus and effective organizing in the libertarian struggle against injustices and for a better society - an organization open for all. They were forced to do everything from scratch - rebuild the tradition of people's movements that almost a century of the Social Democrat Workers Party (SAP) in power and it's accompanying rule of the ombudsman and the bureaucrat. A friendly relationship to the revolutionary syndicalist union SAC was there from the start, but SUF is not it's formal youth movement, and therefore enjoys a high degree of self-government and freedom of action - two cornerstones in libertarian thought.

With the creation of the Coordination Group (SOG) the building of the democratic structures of the new youth movement had started. In 1995 the yearly Landsmöte (the Congress) passed a proposition to start a internal bulletin called Storm (named after the official magazine of "classic" SUF). Another very important thing was the favorable vote to start a radical youth-magazine - Direkt Aktion. It's editorial collective is seated in Stockholm. Through the years you have been able to read interesting reports on class struggle in Sweden and outside of it, news on topicalities, revealing articles on for example the swedish christian right, interviews with well-known bands such as bob hund and sharp chronicals directed against centralism and authoritarian thought. 1998 saw the creation of the International Committee to facilitate the contacts with growing foreign libertarian socialist and progressive movements. The same year the Propagandakommittee came into existence, with aims to supply the federation with agitational materials.

The early years were characterized by the activities of the very violent and criminal extreme right-wing groups like VAM (White Aryan Resistance). Of course the struggle against the fascist movement was high priority for SUF, and it's strength was present in the demonstrations, informational campaigns, mass militancy and courage. Campaigns against anti-abortionists within the ultraconservative christian movement were executed. Discussions on gender roles and power were loudly held. Debate and actions against the sexism present in a country often misdirectedly named as "the most equal place on earth" helped bringing in feminism as a serious force in the eyes of the public. In ever growing numbers you could now see red and black flags and banners with texts such as "facklig kamp utan pamp" (union struggle without bigwigs) on the streets on mayday. The students in many towns organized themselves into schoolgroups and student syndicates, and SUF played a part in the organizing of the many student strikes of the late 90's. The federation became known as one of the fastest growing political youth organisations.

Under the slogan "you can't vote Wallenberg away" (Wallenberg is one of the capitalist families which for decades have controlled a large part of the swedish corporations) the youth-syndicalists went out to schools and streets to point out that even if there are many choices on the ballot, the only real alternative is not printed there - namely the grassroots union struggle. Racists in suits and ties were dreaming of the successes in the local elections and the riksdagen (swedish parliament) that for example Jean-Marie le Pen of french Front National (which gave funding to the "Sverigedemokraterna"). But wherever they showed up the youth-syndicalists were there with fliers, in which they revealed their connections to the nazi-movement and showed the strength of the concept of international solidarity. Syndicalism is and will stay one of the primary enemies of the authoritarian ideologies. At the same time many clubs around Sweden spoke out about the danger of erecting a Fort Europe through accepting things like the Schengen-agreement, which Sweden became a part of in 1998.

During early 1999 SAC and SUF cooperated in the campaign for the Euromarches in Köln, Germany. Employment agencies were occupied to protest the unrealistic economic policys of the government. In the end 35 000 people participated in the protest outside of the luxury hotel of the leaders of the European Union and the G8-countries. This was half a year before the movement for globalization for the first time seriously gained the attention of the general public when it blockaded the WTO meeting in Seattle in december. Three years later, thanks to industrious grassroots work a total of over 40 000 persons took part in three wholly peaceful demonstrations in Gothenburg, which hosted the EU-top meeting. Examples of demands from the people were amongst others: "The right to solidarity strikes across borders", "Stop the attacks on the unemployed - no to forced labor without real pay" and "A radical shortening of working hours with the same pay." A international meeting of young European syndicalists was also held there, arranged by SUF Gothenburg.

SUF has been able to focus more and more on the basic economic struggle for bread and butter and a more free society. Educational courses on practical union struggle directed towards high school-students on their way out into a life of work, informational activities on your right on the summer-job and direct actions like the very successful autoreduction campaign in the Stockholm subway, planka.nu är examples of these kind of activities. The generation of young syndicalists who laid the groundwork of the federation is now active inside the SAC and continues to supply valuable energy, knowledge and fighting spirit, revitalizing the union struggle.

Of course the more national campaigns have been complemented by local grass roots work as selling of newspapers, info-tabling, talks, study circles, manifestations and creative actions. Today SUF exists in about 40 cities, from Luleå in the north to Malmö in the south and represents about 500 youths. The movement continues to grow, la lucha continua!