I think that the statement "80 % of the wealth on this planet is in the hands of about 220 people" is disinformation. Without doing the formal addition of the quoted Forbes list of top billionaires, my eyeballing and back of the envelope calculation says that the total of these top 220 people is roughly US$1 trillion (U.S. trillion, 10^9).

Considering that the U.S. national debt itself is roughly 5 trillion dollars, how the f**king heck can it be possible that these top 220 people hold 80% of the world's wealth?

Get the facts right. The U.S. national debt alone dwarfs the amount held by these people. There are countries other than the U.S. in the world too. Heck, just look at the market capitalisation of the NYSE (New York Stock Exchange) -- the total there, IIRC, is something of the order of $10 trillion.

The concentration of wealth amongst the very rich is far less evident than the claims. I do not doubt that there is some concentration of wealth, but it is nowhere near as bad as this statement suggests and it is ridiculous to make outlandish claims so far off the mark such as this.


Shame on anyone who believed statements such as these without checking it out themselves. Two lessons:
1. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof
2. Don't believe everything you read/hear