Although mr100percent provided a rather inclusive history (hell, I didn't know half of it), I felt I should add a few words about the present state of Union College.

First and foremost, Union College should be known for what it is: a school for dumb rich kids who weren't accepted by any ivy leagues. I know several people at school whose parents bought them Audi S4's for their own personal transportation, and yet still cannot manage to get to class on time, or at all. I feel that the reported median SAT scores must be a little higher than the actual value just judging by the burnouts and drunks I've dealt with during my year there. Also, despite having absolutely terrible athletics, it has a rather high jock population.

Academics:

Academically, the school deserves its (pretty good) reputation. The professors love what they do for a living, and they always seem willing to work individually with students. The class sizes are usually pretty small, and I haven't met a professor who had less than five hours a week to meet one on one with students.

Housing:

I'm leaching off a kid who was picked 7th in the lottery, so I have a sick apartment. Freshmen, on the other hand, can look forward to the dingy brick gulag that is called Davidson hall. They're accepting more students next year and they're providing less housing next year, so I'd say crowding is going to get to be a problem.

Alcohol:

Easy to get. I think I've seen the bars and liquor stores around Union accept Radioshak battery discount cards. In addition, there are frat parties AT LEAST every Friday and Saturday at which you can claw and elbow your way to a bar for a delicious cup of Milwaukee's Best.

Where 'da weed at?:

Also easy to get. Hell, someone I knew grew two plants in his closet. I'm not going to say any names, obviously, but if you're having any trouble finding weed, you're in the substance free residence hall.

Well, what else do I need?:

You can generally always pick up the more interesting kinds of mushrooms, but they're not always cheap. I haven't really had experience with anything else at Union.

Girls:

No good news here. Most are downright ugly. The good-looking ones travel in bitchy little packs that will somehow manage to smoke an 1/8th of an ounce of your marijuana without actually talking to you. They're generally too young,rich,and attractive to resort to talking to freshmen.

Nightlife:

On weekends, there's always frat parties, as I already said. If you're drunk enough, you'll be able to withstand the smell of urine and the face of the girl wrapped around your left leg long enough to get a few dances in. Wednesdays are bar nights, for those of you who like mild alcohol poisoning and quickly dwindling bank accounts. If you live in West life is a party, the tradeoff being that you have to sleep in a room roughly the size of one of those little Japanese hotel cubicles.