NODE REVISION:

UK indie band Verve released their first record, 'All In The Mind', in March 1992, although they had already been in existence for several years

Verve comprised Peter Salisbury (b. Peter Anthony Salisbury, 24 September 1971, Bath, Avon, England; drums), Richard Ashcroft (b. Richard Paul Ashcroft, 11 September 1971, Billinge, Wigan, Lancashire; vocals), Simon Jones (b. 29 July 1972, Liverpool, Merseyside, England; bass) and Nick McCabe (b. 14 July 1971, St Helens, Lancashire, England; guitar).

After a run of singles that covered '(She's A) Superstar', 'Gravity Grave' and 'Blue' (all released on Virgin Records 'indie' subsidiary Hut), their debut album arrived in June 1993. The group then embarked on 1994's Lollapalooza tour, before joining with Oasis for a double-headed package later that year.

Ashcroft left the band during 1995 to form his own version of the Verve and the band officially broke up in August, only to announce in early 1997 that they had re-formed. Richard Ashcroft had no doubts as to why they re-formed, he told the NME 'It's the power of the music that drew the Verve back together. It's the addictive quality of being in the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world'. The break had rejuvenating qualities for their career; in addition to the considerable media coverage and favourable reappraisal, their new material stormed the bestsellers in the UK.

Accompanied by a memorable promotional video, 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' made the UK Top 5, despite legal wranglings over the use of a Rolling Stones instrumental sample (the Verve were obliged to hand over the single's royalties to Alan Klein and credit Keith Richards and Mick Jagger as songwriters), and 'The Drugs Don't Work' reached number 1 on the week of release. Urban Hymns then received rave critical reviews and entered the UK album chart at number 1, knocking Oasis off the top in the process. They won Best Group and Best Album at the 1998 BRIT awards.