Special Effects is perhaps one of the best [hair dye]s for those that like to dye their hair unnatural colors. There is a very large range of shades, and unlike its competitor [Manic Panic], which is notorious for fading after just a couple of days, Special Effects colors stay put for weeks.
If you have medium to dark hair (basically, anything that isn't the absolute [lightest of blondes]), it is necessary to [bleach your hair] first to get the true, advertised color. If you do not bleach, you will end up with just a subtle [tint] that may not show up in all lighting. Some might like this look, but I'm not crazy about it.
Here is a complete, [annotated] list of all the dyes Special Effects is making at the time of this [writeup]:
(arranged by hue)
- Fish Bowl- Bright, bright turquoise. My friend put a few streaks of this in her [platinum blonde] hair a while ago and it looked fantastic.
- Blue-Haired Freak- A medium blue tone.
- Electric Blue- A bit darker than Blue-Haired Freak, but not quite a navy shade yet.
- Blue Mayhem- Similar to Electric Blue, but more purple.
- Blue Velvet- Darker than Blue Mayhem, but with a similar blue-purple tone.
- Wild Flower- A dark, but still bright (if that makes any sense) purple.
- Purple Smoke- Medium purple.
- Virgin Rose- Very similar to Purple Smoke. I can barely see the difference.
- Joyride- The brightest purple I've ever seen.
- Pimpin' Purple- Deep, [royal purple].
- Deep Purple- A rich plum color.
- Atomic Pink- Bright, hot hot pink.
- Cupcake Pink- A slightly more pastel pink, but still bright. I currently have this in my hair and love it.
- Cherry Bomb- Very dark pink, almost a red.
- Blood Red- Brown with just a hint of red in it.
- Burgandy Wine- Deep burgandy.
- Candy Apple Red- Dark brownish red, a bit like the color of [dried blood].
- Devilish- Another dark red. Like Candy Apple Red, but with less brown hues.
- Hot Lava- Like the perfect shade of red lipstick. Dark red, not too bright.
- Nuclear Red- Bright bright bright fire-engine red.
Oranges & Yellows
- High-Octane Orange- Neon. Period.
- Napalm Orange- A more subdued orange.
- Bright As F#@$ Yellow- The name says it all. I've never seen anyone who has used this, but the swatch looks intense.
- Limelight- Bright, lime green.
- Iguana Green- A deep green, like the color of moss.
- Sonic Green- Not really green, more of a teal.
- Pitch Black- Just plain black.
They also produce mixer/toner, bleach, and I have heard word of a [cosmetics] line. View color charts or shop online at their official site, www.specialeffectsusa.com.