Waverley Station is the main terminus for trains in Edinburgh. It nestles in the valley between the Old and New Towns, directly underneath North Bridge
. Construction was begun in 1844
, very few details are known about the original designers of the station. It is built on the site of the old vegetable market, which moved slightly north, then became Waverley Market
, and latterly Princes Mall
The old Booking Office at Waverley Station has a fantastic domed glass roof dating back to the 1890's.
The station is currently at the centre of a somewhat controversial planning application - the developers have submitted plans to raise the roof over the platforms by some three metres to allow them to redevelop the station further.