Smoke gets in your eyes...

Fumigation is getting rid of of an unwanted lifeform by the use of a lethal vapour. A toxic chemical is sprayed about the area in question and, if the procedure is successful, kills all of the intended lifeform. A completely sealed area gives the best effect, as it keeps the fumigant from diluting with air or disappearing into the atmosphere before it has done its task. Afterwards it is equally important that the chemical and any residues do disappear, as they are also toxic to wanted lifeforms, such as your self, family and pets.

Kill that cockroach!

Highly effective in removing pests from your home, fumigation is a popular tool against fungi, insects and rodents in everything from buildings to old furniture. The carefully selected gas leaves no damage, and reaches even behind the corners - and between the layers - of walls. The most effective home fumigation takes place inside a tent, with doors and windows sealed by tarpaulin or duct tape. The house is totally covered, the gas locked in, the inhabitants safe outside. The fumigant has some time to get into all openings and to work, and it is possible to flush the entire place with clean air afterwards.

Common chemicals in domestic fumigation include methyl bromide, Vikane, and the Makr system of methyl bromide mixed with carbon dioxide.

Down with the grasshoppers!

Fumigation is much used in helping agriculture. It treats soil and protects crops and grain against invading swarms too large to manage one by one: insects, bacteriae and fungi, and larger animals like rabbits and rodents in certain areas. Aerial fumigation is also used against agriculture when it is suspected of producing drugs that are bad for you, often killing innocent corn or banana crops instead.

Methyl bromide and phosphine are frequently used in agricultural fumigation, but due to them being rather nasty chemicals, alternatives to the treatment are often sought. After all, when residential houses are treated, food is often packed in plastic to keep the fumes out of it - in agriculture, the food is the target of the treatment.

Lights out for that sub-human scum!

Chemicals have been used against humans with the same effective results as previously, particularly by mad little men with megalomaniac tendencies. The method is quick, saves bullets, and in addition creates a parallel between the group of humans in question and vermin. Well-known examples include mustard gas used during World War I, cyanide during the Holocaust in World War II, and terrorist attacks on the Tokyo subway using the nerve agent Sarin.