Declaration of Independence as traditional conservative document

Traditional Conservatism preaches that history has made society the reservoir of human knowledge and within that reservoir, rights are evident, as tradition makes them known; no appeal to abstractions are needed. By nature, those who are fit to lead, lead, and those who are fit to serve, serve. Tradition obligates the nobles to support those socially beneath them (Noblesse Oblige). In a proper society, everyone knows their place as dictated by custom, and harmony prevails. Therefore, change should be avoided, to protect from social instability, but when inevitable, change should be gradual and focused, paying mind to the will of the people. In the eighteenth century, the American colonists were the victims of Britain's irresponsible altering, and so rebelled.

As to not seem like radicals, the enemy of Traditional Conservatism, the colonists appealed to the world by authoring the Declaration of Independence. Within this, they listed the grievances against the king, and how their actions were prudent and not without proper warning. Before the conflict, the colonists enjoyed the liberties granted by charters and their circumstances of emigration. Life had developed around this, and traditions had formed. This accustomed life was shaken by British, as attempts were made to alter foundations of the colonies.

Tradition is self-justified, and denying it makes life turbulent. As stated by the Declaration of Independence, minor nuisances do not necessitate change. Only when tradition is denied, should alteration proceed. Edmond Burke, the famous Traditional Conservative author, supported the American Revolution as the grievances shown proved the British to be fanatics, and those revolting to be in favor of sticking to customs. As the British tyranny grew, the colonist could no longer stand for the unjustified changes.

These injuries by the king were not minor, and many appeals had been made on the part of the colonists. Fighting was the last resort, as the declaration acknowledges that humans should be more apt to patience, rather than pursue change. Fair warning was given, but fell on deaf ears, and independence was necessary.

When change is called for, focus is needed as protect from needless loss tradition. To preserve the useful ties, animosity had been only displayed toward the British for the reasons of protecting habit. Within the document, the will to befriend the British after the conflict is present, as history had made them a friend. The Declaration of Independence sought not to change, but to preserve the customary life of the colonists. By publishing it, the Americans sought to appeal their cause to history and to whoever cared and might support them.