Artificial consciousness, also known by the names machine consciousness, synthetic consciousness and digital consciousness, is the consciousness hypothesized to be possible in Artificial Intelligence and creating that which would be necessary for such consciousness.

Bernard Baars and others argue there are various aspects of consciousness necessary for a machine to be artificially conscious. Igor Aleksander suggested 12 principles (aspects) for artificial consciousness: the brain is a state machine, inner neuron partitioning, conscious and unconscious states, perceptual learning and memory, prediction, the awareness of self, representation of meaning, learning utterances, learning language, will, instinct, and emotion.

There is also a question relevant to implementation of artificial consciousness, whether consciousness can exist in quantum, or can it exist only in brain. The answer may be unexpected, that both may be true. Because interaction with the sophisticated entanglement on the quantum level, may require brain to work in the same way, it cannot be just a receiver. Thus while artificial consciousness may seem to be an ultimate transhumanism, it may even be the opposite, a research to understand what we as humans are and our interaction with the quantum entanglement of reality (that some say is necessary for the "I Am" phenomenon).

In 2014, Victor Argonov suggested a non-Turing test for machine sentience based on machine's ability to produce philosophical judgments. He argues that a deterministic machine must be regarded as conscious if it is able to produce judgments on all problematic properties of consciousness having no innate (preloaded) philosophical knowledge on these issues. Thus it is testing whether it can learn novel things, that may even not be very complicated, it is important that they are novel.

Examples of AC in science fiction include Vanamonde in Arthur C. Clarke's "The City and the Stars", examples of concepts and implementations include Global Workspace Theory, ADS-AC, Kismet, LIDA, Lena .

ADS-AC is an experimental open source program which implements Absolutely Dynamic System (ADS), a proposed mechanism for Artificial Consciousness (AC). Website: http://adsproject.sourceforge.net/ . It uses a system of "points" or "nodes" connected by "links" to create a structure of "knots". The nodes have no properties other than their links to other nodes in order to maintain their absolute dynamicity.


* Source: Wikipedia .