Chuck Dixon is a comic book writer who has worked on various titles including Marvel's "Punisher" and "Iron Man," Dark Horse's "Alien" and "Preadator" and Bongo's "The Simpsons." He is best known, however, for his work on DC Comics' "Batman" related titles.

Dixon's style of writing is largely oriented around action. His scripting style in action scenes ranges from simplistic blow-by-blow accounts of events unfolding to detailed descriptions of every element of each panel. He has said that the amount of detail he puts into panel descriptions depends on both the significance of the sequence in the wider context of the plot and the preference of the artist working with him on a book. He believes that action is a key element of many comic book stories and enjoys the challenge of presenting original and convincing action scenes. His influences in this come to a large extent from movies ranging from westerns to Hong Kong action.

Another recurring feature in Dixon's work is the use of realistic female characters. While many other writers create characters which are essentially male - with male attitude and agression - and stick a pair of breasts on them to appeal to a mostly male audience, Dixon writes female characters with the ability to be simultaneously rational and emotional, a quality which is very rarely found in men. Dixon attributes his skill in writing women to the fact that he grew up with two older sisters, and that he enjoys spending time in the company of women.

As a child, Dixon suffered from long periods of illness. He was given comics by relatives and became extremely interested in the art form. He initally wanted to become an artist, but quickly realised that he had little or no artistic ability and began to write stories instead.

Like most aspiring writers he collected a mountain of rejection letters, but where many people might have given up, Dixon kept writing. Eventually he was hired to work on Marvel's "The Savage Sword of Conan," and from here he went on to become one of the most widely known names in comic books.

He has been responsible for some of the key turning points in the lives of Bruce Wayne and his fellow Gothamites, including "Knightfall" - in which a villain named Bane, who is obsessed with destroying the Batman and is fuelled by a strength enhancing drug, breaks Batman's spine, "Cataclysm" - in which Gotham City is destroyed by a massive earthquake and "Bruce Wayne: Murderer?" in which Bruce is discovered holding the body of reporter and ex-girlfriend Vesper Fairchild, who has been investigating the true identity of the Dark Knight.

For more information on Chuck Dixon, including a selection of complete scripts, see his website at http://www.dixonverse.com