When we were young the future was so bright
The old neighborhood was so alive
And every kid on the whole damn street
Was gonna make it big in every beat

- The Offspring, The Kids Aren't Allright

After he left us way the hell back in 2002, my dad got a bright orange jeep (it has some fancy name like auburn sunset or something), fixed it up so the tires were huge and tall, and started four-wheeling-- which is basically when a bunch of people with jacked up Jeeps go find big rocks and drive on them.

I'm seeing this girl and she just might be out of her mind
Well she's got baggage and it's all the emotional kind.
She talks about closure and that validation bit
I don't mean to be insensitive, but I really hate that shit.

- The Offspring, She's got Issues
(He used to say this one was about our mom)

He started abalone and scuba diving more. Went hunting more. He got really into his car. He went on a huge health kick with yogurt and granola and fancy water bottles (to the point where one of the contributing factors for why we wouldn't visit him was because he had no good food in the house, just nasty tasting vegetable matter).

Goodbye my friend, you've messed up again
You're going to prison, you're off to the pen
You've gotten off easy so many times
But I guess no one told you how to get a life.

- The Offspring, Walla Walla

But I remember when we would go to his house, he'd come in the Jeep and in the summers it wouldn't have a top or doors or windows; he'd take them off to enjoy the air. And we'd climb in and he'd blast either the Offspring Americana CD or some Best of the 80's Cd. If he had other CDs, we didn't hear them. It was always Offspring or random 80's music.

Have you ever walked through a room
But it was more like the room passed around you
Like there was a leash around your neck that pulled you through?

-- The Offspring, Have You Ever

I swear to God, I don't even know the names of some of those songs, but if they come up on the radio or in the background of a movie or something, I'll know every goddamn word.

Jesus Christ I think I hate that band.