Two interstate bridges cross the Columbia River to connect the Portland area to southwest Washington ( Vancouver), where I live. One bridge is the Interstate 205 bridge, also known as the Glen Jackson bridge. The other is the Interstate 5 bridge, commonly known as the I-5 bridge. I travel over both bridges frequently, but my favorite is the I-5 bridge.

The bridge is constructed with heavy metal girders covering the roadway, similar to some railroad bridges I've seen. In the center, a section of the bridge was designed so that it can be lifted straight up for large boats to pass underneath. There are three lanes in each direction. The bridge isn't flat, which seems strange to me. The road seems to curve slightly up and down, like a gentle roller coaster.

The I-5 bridge is my favorite bridge to drive over in the Portland area, but only when its sunny outside. The sun pouring through the girders casts strange shadows over the road and my car. When you drive over the bridge, its almost like you are in a dream. The shadows ripple over your car so quickly that you become almost dizzy looking at them. Its even better with the windows down, because then you hear the birds who live in the girders chirping loudly in order to be heard over the traffic noise.