This version of the Bible was translated from the Latin Vulgate version, and diligently compared with the Hebrew, Greek and other divers languages.

The Old Testament was first published by the Enligh College At Douay in 1609 A.D. While the New Testament was first published by the Enlish College at Rheims in 1582 A.D.

The full collection of books was first revised in 1749 until 1752 but Bishop Richard Challoner. This revision consisted of meticulous comparisons with the Latin Vulgate. The mass publishing of this complete English Bible was authorized with the complete approbation of James Cardinal Gibbons, ArchBishop of Baltimore.

This Bible usually comes in plain black leather bound exterior with a big gold cross on the cover and the words The Holy Bible written in big gold letters. It now comes in a white covering with the same lettering as well as only the NT.