The illusion of falling in love is like that of the tooth fairy, santa claus or the easter bunny. It's great for young people. It's fine for those older people who don't want to let it go and appreciate the magic that they feel, the eternal journey and adventure that comes from seeking it out, pretending to have it, and the tragedy and loss of waking up to find it gone.

However it was never there.

Like most illusions we human beings fancy, love is not a tangible object. We equate certain things or people with this concept. I could love one something and you may choose to love something else. Two people can fall in love with the same third person at the same time which causes no end of trouble for everyone. One can fall in love with one's work. One can see a dream house and fall in love with that. Or one can fall in love with the idea of denouncing all worldly possessions and embracing a higher power or superior state of consciousness. The concept of falling in love is not limited to his cute little red haired girl or the guy who looked at her funny in the cafeteria. One can choose to fall in love with a dog, or a kumquat or a belief system, or one's creator. It really doesn't matter.

It is something we fabricate in our minds. It is an unconsciously conscious choice we make to be affected by that individual or object in some way. Falling in love is giving into one's emotions and wallowing in self-actualization. It is perhaps simultaneously the most selfish AND selfless action any human being can express to another, or to themselves.