In France, the government has an agency, Academie Francaise, which is specifically designed to strive to keep the french language pure of external influences. There is a similar organization in Quebec Canada called L'Office de la langue française. It is believed that anglicisms are psychologically infiltrating the minds and hearts of true frenchmen, and quietly subverting their culture. There are some who fear change, and do not equate it with progress, but rather see it as an end to their own way of life and the start of something they did not request and do not want.

As the world gets smaller technologically and people find more reasons to need to communicate despite borders or cultural differences, we're going to see this happen more and more. I wouldn't be surprised if within this century we find linguistics and vocabularies distort and blur to the point where english itself loses shape. Odds are english may become the root or backbone of a new form of language, that could seem as different to our descendants' minds as Shakespearean middle english is to us. Remember that less than two or three hundred years ago people were still using thee and thine and words like that. I think it's going to be quite fascinating in the coming decades to watch that change slowly take place.

In the United States the closer to the Mexico border, the more one hears "texmex" or "spanglish" which evolves from individuals being exposed to both languages, seeking commonalities and pulling from both languages the best of what works in common everyday vernacular. I don't hear anyone down in Texas complaining about losing one culture over another. I'm sure there are such individuals but I guess they're largely ignored, or they don't whine enough to register. The mexican culture has gotten used to external cultures affecting their own. They're quite a hodge-podge mish-mash of many cultural influences, and this has been for both good and ill depending on what part of their history and culture you're looking at. Some could argue that it is external cultural indoctrinization which has weakened Mexico in many ways. There is a national pride among some of its people, but some believe it to be distorted and at times even incoherent. I believe there are many other factors contributing to Mexico's cultural decline, and it is external influence which helps to keep it as viable as it is. What's happening to Mexican spanish is actually just a symptom and perhaps a metaphorical example of a greater change occuring to that nation and her people.

French and Quebequoix cultures are much more ethno-centric than Spanish and Mexican cultures, and have fought such cultural interference, believing it a form of almost psychological invasion on their pride and history. They resist change. Quebec has tried more than once to disconnect itself from the rest of Canada, believing an english-based culture doesn't understand the needs of those living inside Quebec's borders. If they could erect a wall around themselves and take down all bilingual signs, they would. That's not the way to face the future however.

Many in Quebec feel it is money not wasted however, to defend their cultural differences and insist on keeping french, and their present lifestyle, from going the way of Latin. So they spend government funds to protect their cultural pride and dignity, and shun external influences upon their culture and communication.