(Lunchtime. I'm sitting here eating yogurt that expired November 18. Mmmm. What's the worst that could happen, right? Anyway...)

I broke from tradition this year and did not go to New York, instead opting to spend the holiday down at my place in historic Leesburg, VA with my boyfriend, his family, and my Mom. We had a traditional turkey dinner complete with stuffing and gravy and mashed potatoes and corn and cranberry sauce, and we all ate until we couldn't move.

Friday, my boyfriend's family went to visit relatives in the area, so we were on our own. It was a nice cool day, so Mom and I headed out to Snicker's Gap, VA to do some bird watching. Bird watching isn't really my thing, but according to Mom it's the fastest growing hobby out there these days. Besides, it gave me a chance to go hiking, which I don't get to do too often.

So Mom and I went hiking up a trail, spotting turkey vultures and woodpeckers occasionally, and talking. Eventually, we stopped at Bear's Den Rock, an outcropping overlooking West Virginia. We talked some more, and I decided we had enough daylight left to show Mom around Harper's Ferry, WV, so back down the mountain we went.

Harper's Ferry was neat. There's a little gift shop called The Herb Lady on Potomac Street where Mom bought some hand lotion and a necklace and a silver bracelet with amethysts. We browsed a few more shops, stopped off at the Mountain House Cafe on High Street for a cup of soup and some hot apple cider, and talked some more.

All in all, it was a fine day, even if Mom did get a little depressed her other two sons don't ever spend that much time with her.