Dobbs Ferry is a village (population approximately 9,900) located in Westchester County, New York, on the Hudson River. In 1730, William Dobbs established a ferry from Willow Point to Sneden's Landing, directly across the river. The ferry was eventually taken over by his son, Jeremiah Dobbs, and the area became known as "Dobbs Ferry."
In 1877, the Masters School, where girls could learn social graces, was opened.
In 1880, newspaper tycoon Henry Villard built a 120 acre estate on the hill.
The Hudson Line of Metro North railroad runs through Dobbs Ferry. The Old Croton Aqueduct, today a popular hiking trail, passes through the center of the village.