This fine horror/comedy was released in 1987. It was directed by Joel Schumacher. It was written by Jeffrey Boam, Janice Fischer, and James Jeremias. The cast includes Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Dianne Wiest, Barnard Hughes, Edward Herrmann, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, Corey Feldman, Jamison Newlander, Brooke McCarter, Billy Wirth, Alex Winter, and others.

Tagline: Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire.

Lucy Emerson (Dianne Wiest) and her two sons, Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim), move to Santa Carla to get a way from the big city and start over again. They move in with the boys' grandfather, referred to only as Grandpa (Barnard Hughes). While roaming the boardwalk, Michael makes some new friends including Star (Jami Getz), but Star isn't like normal people and neither are her friends. Sam meets the Frog brothers, Edgar (Corey Feldman) and Alan (Jamison Newlander), two self-proclaimed monster hunters. Sam begins to suspect there are vampires especially after his brother becomes one. Sam turns to Edgar and Alan to help him find the master vampire in hopes that killing him will save his brother. At first they think it might be David (Kiefer Sutherland) the obvious leader of the band of young vamps. They also suspect Max (Edward Herrman) the man Lucy starts dating.

I love this movie. I have a penchant for the supernatural/preternatural so this movie is right up my alley. In fact I own it. Very cool. The special effects where good for the day. Kiefer Sutherland is awesome as an evil vampire. Alex Winter (from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) even puts in a OK performance in his minor role. The Coreys are respectable and this is probably one of their best movies. It's starting to get a little dated, but I still like to pop it into the VCR from time to time.

Sam: You're a creature of the night, Michael. My own brother, a goddamn shit-sucking vampire. You wait 'til Mom finds out!

Max: Don't ever invite a vampire into your house, you silly boy. It renders you powerless.

Grandpa: One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach. All the damn vampires.

Disclamer: Yes I know there is a Lost Boys node, but this is the proper name of the movie, that other node should be about Peter Pan's gang or something.