Glen Danzig formed Samhain after breaking up The Misfits, he felt the others in that band could not back up his vision and wanted to strike off on his own, not tied to the cheese horror of that band. And so, Samhain was born. Over the course of two full lengths, an ep and a mini-album they charted the slow rise of Glen Danzig from punk superstar to heavy metal superstar, and the subsequent musical progression. When they started they were horror punk, like the Misfits, but darker and eviler, taking themselves much more seriously, not every day Halloween, no, everyday was Samhain, and evil-oriented pagan themes shone through. This was continued through to their second full length, which became more and more metal, however metal with the beat and attitude of metal and the guitar sounds of the burgeoning post-hardcore scene. By their last mini-lp there was proto-Twist of Cain songs and synth's! Danzig himself also changed his vocal style, from the continuation of his Misfits voice to the croon that many people would melt to on the first four Danzig albums. So long story short, after only about three or four years as Samhain, Glen and bass-player/photographer Eeire Von ditched everyone else, picked up John Christ and Chuck Biscuits (from Black Flag) and became Danzig, and the rest of the story must be continued there.

Danzig