So I got my DS9097U-009 a week ago. The 9097U is an adapter converting serial port data to Dallas Semiconductor's one-wire LAN, allowing temperature sensors (DS1820) and other good stuff to be connected to a computer.

In the rear of the adapter is an RJ-11 connector using the two center pins to connect to the one-wire network. All right, I thought when I ordered it, I'll just crimp an RJ-11 head to a cable and be started. Silly me - knowing perfectly well that RJ-11 is not that standard Ethernet plug with eight conductors, yet not understanding the full implication of that: I neither have a crimp tool nor any RJ-11 heads.

Two days ago I bought some connectors anyway and I figured they could probably be crimped to the cable without the proper tools:

I inserted the cable in the head placing the individual wires at their proper locations. Using a flat screw driver I pressed each prong into its wire. It was hard not to slip and push the screw driver through the plastic casing and I still have red aching marks in my palm from the screw driver.

The cable works fairly good and seems to be reliable, though.


There seems to be some confusion out there about how many wires an RJ-11 holds. My experience can be described thusly: The female connector in the adapter (named RJ-11 by the product specification) had six wires. The plug I purchased (RJ-11 according to Scandinavian elecronics store Elfa) had space enough for six conductors, but had only four pieces of metal in front and only four wires would fit in it.