Evangelion : Death
Released by Star Child, KICA-360 on June 11, 1997.
Retail Price 1500 yen.
Total Time 61:32
© 1997 GAINAX / Eva Production Committee
(Japanese-import only)

The soundtrack for the first part of Evangelion: Death and Rebirth contains mostly short orchestral interludes composed by Shiro Sagisu as well as some classical pieces by Bach and Pachelbel. As a bonus, a track from Evangelion : Rebirth (also featured in The End of Evangelion) titled Itsuwari no Saisei is included. This is not all though, half of the disc is occupied by Giuseppe Verdi's "Requiem" (which was used in the trailer for Death but never in the actual movie). This is slight overkill and is a waste of half a CD that could easily have contained other pieces actually in the movie itself.

The tuning that takes place on the album mirrors the actual tuning of instruments the Children do in the movie. Also the short classical pieces represent the warm up practices each of the characters (except Rei Ayanami) do. In the movie this all leads up to the Miryou e no Tshiouritsu, which is the final tuning before the quartet of characters, Shinji Ikari, Rei Ayanami, Asuka Langley Sohryu and Kaoru Nagisa settling down to play Pachelbel's Canon. Incidentally the quartet played in the movie itself is cut short, but a complete orchestral version is played during the ending credits of Death.

The following track information is taken verbatim from the track listing on the back of the album (including the addition notes). The length of each track is listed after the name.

  1. Cello - String #4 Tuning (0:23)
  2. Suiten für Violoncello solo Nr. 1 G-dur, BWV. 1007 1. Vorspier (0:40)
  3. DVORÁK: Original Complete Version (0:31)
  4. Violin - String #2 Tuning (0:21)
  5. Partita III für Violino solo E-dur, BWV. 1006 3. Gavotte in Rondo (0:21)
  6. Viola - String #3 Tuning (1:08)
  7. Yasashisa no Daeri (0:25)
  8. Warei no Namida (2:04)
  9. Miryou e no Tshiouritsu - Final Tune (0:17)
  10. Kanon D-dur (Quartet) (4:58)
  11. THE SORROW OF LOSING THE OBJECT OF ONE'S DEPENDENCE II (1:33)
  12. Kyomou e no izon (1:47)
  13. Zeijyaku na Jigakyoukai (2:10)
  14. Kanon D-dur (Strings Orchestra) (5:05)

    Bonus Track
    Evangelion: Rebirth
  15. Itsuwari no Saisei (2:26)

    Used in Movie Commercial:
  16. Dies irae REQUIEM (37:12)

Note: Evangelion : Death is the official full title of the CD. See Evangelion Music for further information about namespacing issues.