Tune (?), n. [A variant of tone.]

1.

A sound; a note; a tone.

"The tune of your voices."

Shak.

2. Mus. (a)

A rhythmical, melodious, symmetrical series of tones for one voice or instrument, or for any number of voices or instruments in unison, or two or more such series forming parts in harmony; a melody; an air; as, a merry tune; a mournful tune; a slow tune; a psalm tune. See Air.

(b)

The state of giving the proper, sound or sounds; just intonation; harmonious accordance; pitch of the voice or an instrument; adjustment of the parts of an instrument so as to harmonize with itself or with others; as, the piano, or the organ, is not in tune.

Like sweet bells jangled, out of tune and harsh. Shak.

3.

Order; harmony; concord; fit disposition, temper, or humor; right mood.

A child will learn three times as much when he is in tune, as when he . . . is dragged unwillingly to [his task]. Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tune, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tuned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Tuning.]

1.

To put into a state adapted to produce the proper sounds; to harmonize, to cause to be in tune; to correct the tone of; as, to tune a piano or a violin.

" Tune your harps."

Dryden.

2.

To give tone to; to attune; to adapt in style of music; to make harmonious.

For now to sorrow must I tune my song. Milton.

3.

To sing with melody or harmony.

Fountains, and ye, that warble, as ye flow, Melodious murmurs, warbling tune his praise. Milton.

4.

To put into a proper state or disposition.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tune (?), v. i.

1.

To form one sound to another; to form accordant musical sounds.

Whilst tuning to the water's fall, The small birds sang to her. Drayton.

2.

To utter inarticulate harmony with the voice; to sing without pronouncing words; to hum.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.