Tract (?), n. [Abbrev.fr. tractate.]

A written discourse or dissertation, generally of short extent; a short treatise, especially on practical religion.

The church clergy at that writ the best collection of tracts against popery that ever appeared. Swift.

Tracts for the Times. See Tractarian.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tract, n. [L. tractus a drawing, train, track, course, tract of land, from trahere tractum, to draw. Senses 4 and 5 are perhaps due to confusion with track. See Trace,v., and cf. Tratt.]

1.

Something drawn out or extended; expanse.

"The deep tract of hell."

Milton.

2.

A region or quantity of land or water, of indefinite extent; an area; as, an unexplored tract of sea.

A very high mountain joined to the mainland by a narrowtract of earth. Addison.

3.

Traits; features; lineaments.

[Obs.]

The discovery of a man's self by the tracts of his countenance is a great weakness. Bacon.

4.

The footprint of a wild beast.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

5.

Track; trace.

[Obs.]

Efface all tract of its traduction. Sir T. Browne.

But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forthon, Leaving no tract behind. Shak.

6.

Treatment; exposition.

[Obs.]

Shak.

7.

Continuity or extension of anything; as, the tract of speech.

[Obs.]

Older.

8.

Continued or protracted duration; length; extent.

"Improved by tract of time."

Milton.

9. R. C. Ch.

Verses of Scripture sung at Mass, instead of the Alleluia, from Septuagesima Sunday till the Saturday befor Easter;-so called because sung tractim,or without a break, by one voice, instead of by many as in the antiphons.

Syn. -- Region; district; quarter; essay; treatise; dissertation.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tract, v. t.

To trace out; to track; also, to draw out; to protact.

[Obs.]

Spenser. B. Jonson.

 

© Webster 1913.