So"cial (?), a. [L. socialis, from socius a companion; akin to sequi to follow: cf. F. social. See Sue to follow.]

1.

Of or pertaining to society; relating to men living in society, or to the public as an aggregate body; as, social interest or concerns; social pleasure; social benefits; social happiness; social duties.

"Social phenomena."

J. S. Mill.

2.

Ready or disposed to mix in friendly converse; companionable; sociable; as, a social person.

3.

Consisting in union or mutual intercourse.

Best with thyself accompanied, seek'st not Social communication. Milton.

4. Bot.

Naturally growing in groups or masses; -- said of many individual plants of the same species.

5. Zool. (a)

Living in communities consisting of males, females, and neuters, as do ants and most bees.

(b)

Forming compound groups or colonies by budding from basal processes or stolons; as, the social ascidians.

Social science, the science of all that relates to the social condition, the relations and institutions which are involved in man's existence and his well-being as a member of an organized community; sociology. It concerns itself with questions of the public health, education, labor, punishment of crime, reformation of criminals, and the like. -- Social whale Zool., the blackfish. -- The social evil, prostitution.

Syn. -- Sociable; companionable; conversible; friendly; familiar; communicative; convival; festive.

 

© Webster 1913.