Shunt (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shunted; p. pr. & vb. n. Shunting.] [Prov. E., to move from, to put off, fr. OE. shunten, schunten, schounten; cf. D. schuinte a slant, slope, Icel. skunda to hasten. Cf. Shun.]

1.

To shun; to move from.

[Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

2.

To cause to move suddenly; to give a sudden start to; to shove.

[Obs. or Prov.Eng.]

Ash.

3.

To turn off to one side; especially, to turn off, as a grain or a car upon a side track; to switch off; to shift.

For shunting your late partner on to me. T. Hughes.

4. Elec.

To provide with a shunt; as, to shunt a galvanometer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Shunt (?), v. i.

To go aside; to turn off.

 

© Webster 1913.


Shunt, n. [Cf. D. schuinte slant, slope, declivity. See Shunt, v. t.]

1. Railroad

A turning off to a side or short track, that the principal track may be left free.

2. Elec.

A conducting circuit joining two points in a conductor, or the terminals of a galvanometer or dynamo, so as to form a parallel or derived circuit through which a portion of the current may pass, for the purpose of regulating the amount passing in the main circuit.

3. Gunnery

The shifting of the studs on a projectile from the deep to the shallow sides of the grooves in its discharge from a shunt gun.

Shunt dynamo Elec., a dynamo in which the field circuit is connected with the main circuit so as to form a shunt to the letter, thus employing a portion of the current from the armature to maintain the field. -- Shunt gun, a firearm having shunt rifling. See under Rifling.

 

© Webster 1913.