Sal"a*man`der (?), n. [F. salamandre, L. salamandra, Gr. ; cf. Per. samander, samandel.]

1. Zool.

Any one of numerous species of Urodela, belonging to Salamandra, Amblystoma, Plethodon, and various allied genera, especially those that are more or less terrestrial in their habits.

⇒ The salamanders have, like lizards, an elongated body, four feet, and a long tail, but are destitute of scales. They are true Amphibia, related to the frogs. Formerly, it was a superstition that the salamander could live in fire without harm, and even extinguish it by the natural coldness of its body.

I have maintained that salamander of yours with fire any time this two and thirty years. Shak.

Whereas it is commonly said that a salamander extinguisheth fire, we have found by experience that on hot coals, it dieth immediately. Sir T. Browne.

2. Zool.

The pouched gopher (Geomys tuza) of the Southern United States.

3.

A culinary utensil of metal with a plate or disk which is heated, and held over pastry, etc., to brown it.

4.

A large poker.

[prov. Eng.]

Halliwell.

5. Metal.

Solidofied material in a furnace hearth.

Giant salamander. Zool. See under Giant. -- Salamander's hairwool Min., a species of asbestus or mineral flax. [Obs.] Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.