Rub (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Rubbed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rubbing.] [Probably of Celtic origin; cf. W. rhwbiaw, gael. rub.]

1.

To subject (a body) to the action of something moving over its surface with pressure and friction, especially to the action of something moving back and forth; as, to rub the flesh with the hand; to rub wood with sandpaper.

It shall be expedient, after that body is cleaned, to rub the body with a coarse linen cloth.
Sir T. Elyot.

2.

To move over the surface of (a body) with pressure and friction; to graze; to chafe; as, the boat rubs the ground.

3.

To cause (a body) to move with pressure and friction along a surface; as, to rub the hand over the body.

Two bones rubbed hard against one another.
Arbuthnot.

4.

To spread a substance thinly over; to smear.

The smoothed plank, . . .
New rubbed with balm.
Milton.

5.

To scour; to burnish; to polish; to brighten; to cleanse; -- often with up or over; as, to rub up silver.

The whole business of our redemption is to rub over the defaced copy of the creation.
South.

6.

To hinder; to cross; to thwart. [R.]

'T is the duke's pleasure,
Whose disposition, all the world well knows,
Will not be rubbed nor stopped.
Shak.

To rub down.
(a) To clean by rubbing; to comb or curry; as, to down a horse.
(b) To reduce or remove by rubbing; as, to rub down the rough points. --
To rub off, to clean anything by rubbing; to separate by friction; as, to rub off rust. --
To rub out, to remove or separate by friction; to erase; to obliterate; as, to rub out a mark or letter; to rub out a stain. --
To rub up.
(a) To burnish; to polish; to clean.
(b) To excite; to awaken; to rouse to action; as, to rub up the memory.

 

© Webster 1913


Rub, v. i.

1.

To move along the surface of a body with pressure; to grate; as, a wheel rubs against the gatepost.

2.

To fret; to chafe; as, to rub upon a sore.

3.

To move or pass with difficulty; as, to rub through woods, as huntsmen; to rub through the world.

To rub along or on, to go on with difficulty; as, they manage, with strict economy, to rub along. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913


Rub, n. [Cf. W. rhwb. See Rub, v,t,]

1.

The act of rubbing; friction.

2.

That which rubs; that which tends to hinder or obstruct motion or progress; hindrance; obstruction, an impediment; especially, a difficulty or obstruction hard to overcome; a pinch.

Every rub is smoothed on our way.
Shak.

To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub.
Shak.

Upon this rub, the English ambassadors thought fit to demur.
Hayward.

One knows not, certainly, what other rubs might have been ordained for us by a wise Providence.
W. Besant.

3.

Inequality of surface, as of the ground in the game of bowls; unevenness. Shak.

4.

Something grating to the feelings; sarcasm; joke; as, a hard rub.

5.

Imperfection; failing; fault. [Obs.] Beau. & Fl.

6.

A chance. [Obs.]

Flight shall leave no Greek a rub.
Chapman.

7.

A stone, commonly flat, used to sharpen cutting tools; a whetstone; -- called also rubstone.

Rub iron, an iron guard on a wagon body, against which a wheel rubs when cramped too much.

 

© Webster 1913


Rub, n. --
Rub of the green (Golf), anything happening to a ball in motion, such as its being deflected or stopped by any agency outside the match, or by the fore caddie.

 

© Webster 1913