Proj"ect [OF. project, F. projet, fr. L. projectus, p. p. of projicere to project; pro forward + jacere to throw. See Jet a shooting forth, and cf. Projet.]

1.

The place from which a thing projects, or starts forth.

[Obs.]

Holland.

2.

That which is projected or designed; something intended or devised; a scheme; a design; a plan.

Vented much policy, and projects deep. Milton.

Projects of happiness devised by human reason. Rogers.

He entered into the project with his customary ardor. Prescott.

3.

An idle scheme; an impracticable design; as, a man given to projects.

Syn. -- Design; scheme; plan; purpose. -- Project, Design. A project is something of a practical nature thrown out for consideration as to its being done. A design is a project when matured and settled, as a thing to be accomplished. An ingenious man has many projects, but, if governed by sound sense, will be slow in forming them into designs. See also Scheme.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pro*ject" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Projected; p. pr. & vb. n. Projecting.] [Cf. OF. projecter, F. projeter.]

1.

To throw or cast forward; to shoot forth.

Before his feet herself she did project. Spenser.

Behold! th' ascending villas on my side Project long shadows o'er the crystal tide. Pope.

2.

To cast forward or revolve in the mind; to contrive; to devise; to scheme; as, to project a plan.

What sit then projecting peace and war? Milton.

3. Persp.

To draw or exhibit, as the form of anything; to delineate; as, to project a sphere, a map, an ellipse, and the like; -- sometimes with on, upon, into, etc.; as, to project a line or point upon a plane. See Projection, 4.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pro*ject" (?), v. i.

1.

To shoot forward; to extend beyond something else; to be prominent; to jut; as, the cornice projects; branches project from the tree.

2.

To form a project; to scheme.

[R.]

Fuller.

 

© Webster 1913.