Po*lice" (?), n. [F., fr. L. politia the condition of a state, government, administration, Gr. , fr. to be a citizen, to govern or administer a state, fr. citizen, fr. city; akin to Skr. pur, puri. Cf. Policy polity, Polity.]
A judicial and executive system, for the government of a city, town, or district, for the preservation of rights, order, cleanliness, health, etc., and for the enforcement of the laws and prevention of crime; the administration of the laws and regulations of a city, incorporated town, or borough.
That which concerns the order of the community; the internal regulation of a state.
The organized body of civil officers in a city, town, or district, whose particular duties are the preservation of good order, the prevention and detection of crime, and the enforcement of the laws.
Military police, the body of soldiers detailed to preserve civil order and attend to sanitary arrangements in a camp or garrison.
The cleaning of a camp or garrison, or the state a camp as to cleanliness.
Police commissioner, a civil officer, usually one of a board, commissioned to regulate and control the appointment, duties, and discipline of the police. -- Police constable, ∨ Police officer, a policeman. -- Police court, a minor court to try persons brought before it by the police. -- Police inspector, an officer of police ranking next below a superintendent. -- Police jury, a body of officers who collectively exercise jurisdiction in certain cases of police, as levying taxes, etc.; -- so called in Louisiana. Bouvier. -- Police justice, ∨ Police magistrate, a judge of a police court. -- Police offenses Law, minor offenses against the order of the community, of which a police court may have final jurisdiction. -- Police station, the headquarters of the police, or of a section of them; the place where the police assemble for orders, and to which they take arrested persons.
© Webster 1913.
Po*lice", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Policed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Policing.]
To keep in order by police.
To make clean; as, to police a camp.
© Webster 1913.