De*ny" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Denied (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Denying.] [OE. denien, denaien, OF. denier, deneer, F. d'enier, fr. L. denegare; de- + negare to say no, deny. See Negation.]

1.

To declare not to be true; to gainsay; to contradict; -- opposed to affirm, allow, or admit.

⇒ We deny what another says, or we deny the truth of an assertion, the force of it, or the assertion itself.

2.

To refuse (to do something or to accept something); to reject; to decline; to renounce.

[Obs.] "If you deny to dance."

Shak.

3.

To refuse to grant; to withhold; to refuse to gratify or yield to; as, to deny a request.

Who finds not Providence all good and wise, Alike in what it gives, and what denies? Pope.

To some men, it is more agreeable to deny a vicious inclination, than to gratify it. J. Edwards.

4.

To disclaim connection with, responsibility for, and the like; to refuse to acknowledge; to disown; to abjure; to disavow.

The falsehood of denying his opinion. Bancroft.

Thou thrice denied, yet thrice beloved. Keble.

To deny one's self, to decline the gratification of appetites or desires; to practice self-denial.

Let him deny himself, and take up his cross. Matt. xvi. 24.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*ny", v. i.

To answer in negative; to declare an assertion not to be true.

Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. Gen. xviii. 15.

 

© Webster 1913.