Con"tra*ry (? ∨ ?; 48), a. [OE. contrarie, contraire, F. contraire, fr. L. contrarius, fr. contra. See Contra-.]

1.

Opposite; in an opposite direction; in opposition; adverse; as, contrary winds.

And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me. Lev. xxvi. 21.

We have lost our labor; they are gone a contrary way. Shak.

2.

Opposed; contradictory; repugnant; inconsistent.

Fame, if not double-faced, is double mouthed, And with contrary blast proclaims most deeds. Milton.

The doctrine of the earth's motion appeared to be contrary to the sacred Scripture. Whewell.

3.

Given to opposition; perverse; forward; wayward; as, a contrary disposition; a contrary child.

4. Logic

Affirming the opposite; so opposed as to destroy each other; as, contrary propositions.

Contrary motion Mus., the progression of parts in opposite directions, one ascending, the other descending.

Syn. -- Adverse; repugnant; hostile; inimical; discordant; inconsistent.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con"tra*ry, n.; pl. Contraries ().

1.

A thing that is of contrary or opposite qualities.

No contraries hold more antipathy Than I and such a knave. Shak.

2.

An opponent; an enemy.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

3.

the opposite; a proposition, fact, or condition incompatible with another; as, slender proofs which rather show the contrary. See Converse, n., 1.

Locke.

4. Logic

See Contraries.

On the contrary, in opposition; on the other hand. Swift. -- To the contrary, to an opposite purpose or intent; on the other side. "They did it, not for want of instruction to the contrary." Bp. Stillingfleet.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con"tra*ry, v. t. [F. contrarier. See Contrary, a.]

To contradict or oppose; to thwart.

[Obs.]

I was advised not to contrary the king. Bp. Latimer.

 

© Webster 1913.