Con*tin"ue (?), v. i. [imp. & p.p. Continued (?); p.pr. & vb.n. Continuing.] [F. continuer, L. continuare, -tinuatum, to connect, continue, fr. continuus. See Continuous, and cf. Continuate.]

1.

To remain ina given place or condition; to remain in connection with; to abide; to stay.

Here to continue, and build up here A growing empire. Milton.

They continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat. Matt. xv. 32.

2.

To be permanent or durable; to endure; to last.

But now thy kingdom shall not continue. 1 Sam. xiii. 14.

3.

To be steadfast or constant in any course; to persevere; to abide; to endure; to persist; to keep up or maintain a particular condition, course, or series of actions; as, the army continued to advance.

If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed. John viii. 31.

Syn. -- To persevere; persist. See Persevere.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*tin"ue, v. t.

1.

To unite; to connect.

[Obs.]

the use of the navel is to continue the infant unto the mother. Sir T. browne.

2.

To protract or extend in duration; to preserve or persist in; to cease not.

O continue thy loving kindness unto them that know thee. Ps. xxxvi. 10.

You know how to make yourself happy by only continuing such a life as you have been long acustomed to lead. Pope.

3.

To carry onward or extend; to prolong or produce; to add to or draw out in length.

A bridge of wond'rous length, From hell continued, reaching th' utmost orb of this frall world. Milton.

4.

To retain; to suffer or cause to remain; as, the trustees were continued; also, to suffer to live.

And how shall we continue Claudio. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.