Ter"ti*a*ry (?), a. .

1.

Being of the third formation, order, or rank; third; as, a tertiary use of a word.

Trench.

 

2. Chem.

Possessing some quality in the third degree; having been subjected to the substitution of three atoms or radicals; as, a tertiary alcohol, amine, or salt. Cf. Primary, and Secondary.

<-- specifically, an organic compound in which the carbon atom attached to the eponymic functional group has three carbon atoms attached to it; as, tertiary butyl alcohol, (CH3)3C.OH. -->

 

3. Geol.

Later than, or subsequent to, the Secondary.

 

4. Zool.

Growing on the innermost joint of a bird's wing; tertial; -- said of quills.

Tertiary age. Geol. See under Age, 8. -- Tertiary color, a color produced by the mixture of two secondaries. "The so-called tertiary colors are citrine, russet, and olive." Fairholt. -- Tertiary period. Geol. (a) The first period of the age of mammals, or of the Cenozoic era. (b) The rock formation of that period; -- called also Tertiary formation. See the Chart of Geology. -- Tertiary syphilis Med., the third and last stage of syphilis, in which it invades the bones and internal organs.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ter"ti*a*ry, n.; pl. Tertiaries ().

1. R. C. Ch.

A member of the Third Order in any monastic system; as, the Franciscan tertiaries; the Dominican tertiaries; the Carmelite tertiaries. See Third Order, under Third.

Addis & Arnold.

 

2. Geol.

The Tertiary era, period, or formation.

 

3. Zool.

One of the quill feathers which are borne upon the basal joint of the wing of a bird. See Illust. of Bird.

 

© Webster 1913.