Pinch (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pinched (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Pinching.] [F. pincer, probably fr. OD. pitsen to pinch; akin to G. pfetzen to cut, pinch; perhaps of Celtic origin. Cf. Piece.]

1.

To press hard or squeeze between the ends of the fingers, between teeth or claws, or between the jaws of an instrument; to squeeze or compress, as between any two hard bodies.

2.

o seize; to grip; to bite; -- said of animals. [Obs.]

He [the hound] pinched and pulled her down.
Chapman.

3.

To plait. [Obs.]

Full seemly her wimple ipinched was.
Chaucer.

4.

Figuratively: To cramp; to straiten; to oppress; to starve; to distress; as, to be pinched for money.

Want of room . . . pinching a whole nation.
Sir W. Raleigh.

5.

To move, as a railroad car, by prying the wheels with a pinch. See Pinch, n., 4.

 

© Webster 1913


Pinch, v. i.

1.

To act with pressing force; to compress; to squeeze; as, the shoe pinches.

2. (Hunt.)

To take hold; to grip, as a dog does. [Obs.]

3.

To spare; to be niggardly; to be covetous. Gower.

The wretch whom avarice bids to pinch and spare.
Franklin.

To pinch at, to find fault with; to take exception to. [Obs.] Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913


Pinch, n.

1.

A close compression, as with the ends of the fingers, or with an instrument; a nip.

2.

As much as may be taken between the finger and thumb; any very small quantity; as, a pinch of snuff.

3.

Pian; pang. "Necessary's sharp pinch." Shak.

4.

A lever having a projection at one end, acting as a fulcrum, -- used chiefly to roll heavy wheels, etc. Called also pinch bar.

At a pinch, On a pinch, in an emergency; as, he could on a pinch read a little Latin.

 

© Webster 1913


Pinch, v. t.

To seize by way of theft; to steal; also, to catch; to arrest. [Slang] Robert Barr.

 

© Webster 1913