In*ca"pa*ble (?), a. [Pref. in- not + capable: cf. F. incapable, L. incapabilis incomprehensible.]

1.

Wanting in ability or qualification for the purpose or end in view; not large enough to contain or hold; deficient in physical strength, mental or moral power, etc.; not capable; as, incapable of holding a certain quantity of liquid; incapable of endurance, of comprehension, of perseverance, of reform, etc.

2.

Not capable of being brought to do or perform, because morally strong or well disposed; -- used with reference to some evil; as, incapable of wrong, dishonesty, or falsehood.

3.

Not in a state to receive; not receptive; not susceptible; not able to admit; as, incapable of pain, or pleasure; incapable of stain or injury.

4. Law

Unqualified or disqualified, in a legal sense; as, a man under thirty-five years of age is incapable of holding the office of president of the United States; a person convicted on impeachment is thereby made incapable of holding an office of profit or honor under the government.

5. Mil.

As a term of disgrace, sometimes annexed to a sentence when an officer has been cashiered and rendered incapable of serving his country.

Incapable is often used elliptically.

Is not your father grown incapable of reasonable affairs? Shak.

Syn. -- Incompetent; unfit; unable; insufficient; inadequate; deficient; disqualified. See Incompetent.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*ca"pa*ble, n.

One who is morally or mentally weak or inefficient; an imbecile; a simpleton.

 

© Webster 1913.