Com"pa*ny (?), n.; pl. Companies (#). [F. compagnie, fr. OF. compaing. See Companion.]

1.

The state of being a companion or companions; the act of accompaying; fellowship; companionship; society; friendly intercourse.

Shak.

Evil company doth corrupt good manners. 1 Cor. xv. 33. (Rev. Ver. ).

Brethren, farewell: your company along I will not wish. Milton.

2.

A companion or companions.

To thee and thy company I bid A hearty welcome. Shak.

3.

An assemblage or association of persons, either permanent or transient.

Thou shalt meet a company of prophets. 1 Sam. x. 5.

4.

Guests or visitors, in distinction from the members of a family; as, to invite company to dine.

5.

Society, in general; people assembled for social intercourse.

Nature has left every man a capacity of being agreeable, though not of shining in company. Swift.

6.

An association of persons for the purpose of carrying on some enterprise or business; a corporation; a firm; as, the East India Company; an insurance company; a joint-stock company.

7.

Partners in a firm whose names are not mentioned in its style or title; -- often abbreviated in writing; as, Hottinguer & Co.

8. Mil.

A subdivision of a regiment of troops under the command of a captain, numbering in the United States (full strength) 100 men.

9. Naut.

The crew of a ship, including the officers; as, a whole ship's company.

10.

The body of actors employed in a theater or in the production of a play.

To keep company with. See under Keep, v. t.

Syn. -- Assemblage; assembly; society; group; assembly; society; group; circle; crowd; troop; crew; gang; corporation; association; fraternity; guild; partnership; copartnery; union; club; party; gathering.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"pa*ny (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Companied (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Companying.]

To accompany or go with; to be companion to.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"pa*ny, v. i.

1.

To associate.

Men which have companied with us all the time. Acts i. 21.

2.

To be a gay companion.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

3.

To have sexual commerce.

[Obs.]

Bp. Hall.

 

© Webster 1913.