Bush (?), n. [OE. bosch, busch, buysch, bosk, busk; akin to D. bosch, OHG. busc, G. busch, Icel. bskr, bski, Dan. busk, Sw. buske, and also to LL. boscus, buscus, Pr. bosc, It. bosco, Sp. & Pg. bosque, F. bois, OF. bos. Whether the LL. or G. form i the original is uncertain; if the LL., it is perh. from the same source as E. box a case. Cf. Ambush, Boscage, Bouquet, Box a case.]

1.

A thicket, or place abounding in trees or shrubs; a wild forest.

⇒ This was the original sense of the word, as in the Dutch bosch, a wood, and was so used by Chaucer. In this sense it is extensively used in the British colonies, especially at the Cape of Good Hope, and also in Australia and Canada; as, to live or settle in the bush.

2.

A shrub; esp., a shrub with branches rising from or near the root; a thick shrub or a cluster of shrubs.

To bind a bush of thorns among sweet-smelling flowers. Gascoigne.

3.

A shrub cut off, or a shrublike branch of a tree; as, bushes to support pea vines.

4.

A shrub or branch, properly, a branch of ivy (as sacred to Bacchus), hung out at vintners' doors, or as a tavern sign; hence, a tavern sign, and symbolically, the tavern itself.

If it be true that good wine needs no bush, 't is true that a good play needs no epilogue. Shak.

5. Hunting

The tail, or brush, of a fox.

To beat about the bush, to approach anything in a round-about manner, instead of coming directly to it; -- a metaphor taken from hunting. -- Bush bean Bot., a variety of bean which is low and requires no support (Phaseolus vulgaris, variety nanus). See Bean, 1. -- Bush buck, or Bush goat Zool., a beautiful South African antelope (Tragelaphus sylvaticus); -- so called because found mainly in wooden localities. The name is also applied to other species. -- Bush cat Zool., the serval. See Serval. -- Bush chat Zool., a bird of the genus Pratincola, of the Thrush family. -- Bush dog. Zool. See Potto. -- Bush hammer. See Bushhammer in the Vocabulary. -- Bush harrow Agric. See under Harrow. -- Bush hog Zool., a South African wild hog (Potamocherus Africanus); -- called also bush pig, and water hog. -- Bush master Zool., a venomous snake (Lachesis mutus) of Guinea; -- called also surucucu. -- Bush pea Bot., a variety of pea that needs to be bushed. -- Bush shrike Zool., a bird of the genus Thamnophilus, and allied genera; -- called also batarg. Many species inhabit tropical America. -- Bush tit Zool., a small bird of the genus Psaltriparus, allied to the titmouse. P. minimus inhabits California.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush (?), v. i.

To branch thickly in the manner of a bush.

"The bushing alders."

Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bushed (); p. pr. & vb.n. Bushing.]

1.

To set bushes for; to support with bushes; as, to bush peas.

2.

To use a bush harrow on (land), for covering seeds sown; to harrow with a bush; as, to bush a piece of land; to bush seeds into the ground.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush, n. [D. bus a box, akin to E. box; or F. boucher to plug.]

1. Mech.

A lining for a hole to make it smaller; a thimble or ring of metal or wood inserted in a plate or other part of machinery to receive the wear of a pivot or arbor. Knight.

⇒ In the larger machines, such a piece is called a box, particularly in the United States.

2. Gun.

A piece of copper, screwed into a gun, through which the venthole is bored.

Farrow.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bush, v. t.

To furnish with a bush, or lining; as, to bush a pivot hole.

 

© Webster 1913.