Guide to an Emergency Childbirth

During emergencies, stress can bring on labour. If you are pregnant and find this has happened and there is no way of reaching a Hospital (Stuck in a Elevator, Plane crash etc.), The important thing is DON'T PANIC! If you are a bystander and are with a woman under these conditions and can't quietly slip away, the important thing is not to tell her "If you stain new suit I will kill you" or any such remark. You very well might regret it, there have been many reported incidents where women in labour have gained extraordinary strength and are not usally in the best of moods!!


Ideally you will need a pair of scissors or a knife and around 3 lengths of string or thread Approx. 20cm (9in) in length. (If you are about to drop, it might be a good idea to have something like that in your handbag, as most people selfishly leave such objects in the kitchen)
Sterilise the knife and string.
Prepare a surfice that is clean and comfortable for Mum. Again ideally, you will need plenty of hot water available and some clean clothes. Folks who are assisting should thoroughly wash their hands, people with any sign of a cold or infection or sores, warts on their hands should vacate as far as they can.

First Stage of Labour

  • The Uterus contracts at 10-20 minute intervals.
  • An increase of bloodstained mucus.
  • Cramp like pains lasting up to a minute become increasingly more frequent.
The first stage may last several hours.

Second Stage of Labour
Half a litre (1pt) or more of water flows out in a gush-the Breaking of the waters.
Mum should now lie on her back. During contractions she should bring her knees up and grasp them with her hand, bending her head towards them and holding her breath. She should rest between contractions.
When a bulge appears, delivery is close.
Mum should now adopt a delivery position. Either: Lying on her side with knees drawn-up and buttocks near the edge of a bed, table etc. Or Crouching (which is often better, if she feels strong enough).

Delivery
The Mother should NOT hold her breath and should NOT bear-down during contractions. She should take short breaths with her mouth open. By panting she makes it easier for the baby to emerge slowly and smoothly. If the Mother makes a bowel movement during delivery wipe clean from the front to the back.

  • The Baby's head usually emerges first, but not always.
  • Tear any membrane covering the Baby's face.
  • If the umbilical cord is around the baby's neck - ease it over the head or loop it around the shoulder.
  • Support the baby's head in the palm of your hands. As the shoulders emerge, support the body under the armpits and lift toward the Mother's abdomen. Be prepared for the baby to be slippery.
  • Ensuring that no tension is put on the cord, place the baby by the mothers legs (or if she is lying on her back, not side, between them) head lower than body.
If the baby does not appear head-first and the delivery is held up for more than 3 minutes after the shoulders emerge, pull very gently.

After Delivery
Bind a cloth (clean shirt etc.) around the baby's ankles. Hook one or two fingers under the cloth to support the baby, hanging head downwards, to allow fluid to drain from its mouth and nose. Hold head slightly back and mouth open. Wipe any mucus or blood. When the baby cries lay it by the Mother's breast.
If the baby does not cry and does not show any signs of breathing within two minutes of delivery begin very gentle mouth to mouth resuscitation.

It will be better now for the Mother to lie on her back, with legs apart, for the delivery of the placenta (afterbirth). This usually takes about 10 minutes after birth. After the delivery of the placenta or after the cord has stopped pulsating the blood flow out of the cord and into the baby. The cord will now be becoming white instead of blue.
Firmly tie a piece of sterile string around the cord about 15cm (6in) from the baby's navel. Then tie another bit 20cm (8in) from the navel. Check that the first tie is really secure or the baby may lose blood. With the sterile knife/scissors sever the cord between the 2 ties. Place a sterile dressing over the cut end . Leave for about 10 minutes and then check for bleeding. Tie a further thread 10cm (4in) from the baby.
Wash the mother, give her hot drinks and encourage her to sleep. You can now write her an invoice for your suit.

This guide is only intended for dire emergency circumstances, where there is no way of getting professional help. Neither Everything2 or myself take any responsibility for any legal proceedings brought against any person or body as a result of using this guide that incurs any injury or loss of life.

First Aid