Under the title card, “BASEBALL AND VIDEO GAMES”, a DOOR SLAMS.

-INT. LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

ECU on a pair of sensual female lips:

MOLLY

I can’t believe your parents left you alone for the whole weekend.
ECU on male lips, bursting with anticipation:

ZACK

Believe it, baby.
TITLE CARD: “ZACK & MOLLY”

Their faces meet and kiss in a sloppy CU. A wide shot reveals they are standing by the door of a spacious house, MOLLY having just entered. Still kissing, the two of them attempt to wind their way over to the couch. ZACK accidentally pushes Molly into the coffee table. She barks her shin and cries in pain, then laughs and they continue making out. They fall mostly lengthwise onto the couch, Molly more or less above Zack.

Both Molly and Zack are attractive and in their late teens. Their zest is remarkable. Their frantic pace slows down somewhat. Between kisses:

MOLLY

It’s so good to see you. I thought I would die of boredom. My stupid brother keeps making me play checkers with him.

ZACK

Let’s not talk about your brother now.

MOLLY

Sorry. Let’s not talk about anything.
She reaches out of frame and UNZIPS his fly.

ZACK

You wanna do it right here? We could go up to my room, you know. There’s a thing called a bed there.

MOLLY
(whining baby-talk])

Oh, but I don’t wanna get up.

ZACK

I watch baseball with my dad on this couch.

MOLLY

Zack, I’m ready now.

(melodramatically)

Take me, lover! Ravage my body!

ZACK

Mmm, yes ma’am!

(confidentially)

I got a little secret you might want to know.

MOLLY

What would that be?

ZACK

I got so excited about this weekend, I masturbated three times already today.
Molly pauses in mid-nibble. Slowly, their faces separate. She smiles, nervously.

MOLLY

That’s a joke, right?

ZACK

Well, kind of.

MOLLY

Wait, so you did or you didn’t?

ZACK

Well, I...I did, but it’s like...I don’t--

MOLLY

Oh my god.
She ZIPS his fly up, then extricates herself and climbs off the couch. Zack assumes the role of the sensitive apologizer:

ZACK

I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have brought that up. I totally like ruined the mood, there was no, um, need to say that...
He trails off, as Molly pierces him with a stare that’s a strange mixture of wounded and vindictive.

MOLLY

Yeah Zack, why did you say that?

ZACK

I don’t know, I heard it turns some girls on.

MOLLY

It does not!

ZACK

What do you mean, it doesn’t?

MOLLY

How could it?

ZACK

I-I don’t know. It’s just that it’s something we usually don’t talk about. I--

MOLLY

Well, why should we talk about it? I don’t do it, you shouldn’t be doing it, what is there to talk about?

ZACK

Wait, why shouldn’t I be doing it?

MOLLY

Because we have a healthy sex life, Zack! Because you’re not a-a little kid playing in the bathtub--or a, a prison inmate or a porno freak like your friend Denny--

ZACK

Who did you have for sex ed? ‘Cause I don’t think we saw the same filmstrip.

MOLLY

Zack. Look. Stop kidding around. I’m-- I think I’m gonna go.
She turns toward the door.

ZACK

Wait. Wait. Molly wait. I’ll stop.
She turns back to him.

ZACK

I don’t know why this is so important to you, but God, if it’s something you’re willing to walk out on me over, then, I’ll just stop doing it altogether. Okay?

MOLLY

Oh, Zack. That’s so sweet.
She walks over to him and gives him a hug--almost motherly.

MOLLY

So, I’ll see you next weekend, then?

ZACK

What?

MOLLY

Well, I can’t hang around here. You have a habit to break.

ZACK

But, if you’re here, I guarantee I won’t do it.

MOLLY

Well, yes. Now, as I see it, we need some insurance you won’t be a bad boy this weekend. Is there anyone around who could sleep over this weekend?
Zack thinks hard. His face says he doesn’t want to, but he doesn’t want to upset Molly.

ECU of Zack’s fingers punching buttons on a touch-tone phone.

INT. LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

ECU of DENNY’s fingers pushing Nintendo controller buttons.

TITLE CARD: “DENNY”

Denny, Zack’s aforementioned friend, has joined Zack on the couch and sits fixedly playing a video game while Zack stares dejectedly at the screen.

DENNY

Wait, explain it to me again. What exactly did you agree to?

ZACK

I have to stay in the house. All weekend. Can’t leave. And your job is to watch me and make sure I don’t...you know...play video games.

DENNY

Video games?

ZACK

You know, play? With my...joystick?

DENNY

Uh huh. So, we’re like, quarantined here?

ZACK

Yep.

DENNY

Tell me why you agreed to this?

ZACK

‘Cause I...wanna make her happy.

DENNY

Sounds like you’re gonna make yourself pretty dang unhappy.

ZACK

Nah, I mean...I can do it...

DENNY

Okay, okay. This is where we have to lay all the cards on the table. You play video games, what, once a day?

ZACK

Yeah. Pretty much.

DENNY

Pretty much.

ZACK

Yeah.

DENNY

Lies make baby Jesus cry...

ZACK

All right, lately, it’s been like twice. But that’s just because school just got out, y’know? I’ve got nothing to do all day.

DENNY

Okay. See I myself am pretty dedicated to three times a day. But then I know I’m more loose-wristed than the average bear. Now exactly when do you have until? When can you do it again?

ZACK

Uh, all we said is the weekend...so I guess that means anytime Monday...but the point is that I stop doing it altogether. You know? This is like, my cold turkey period.

DENNY

Man, see, this is the problem. This girl, she makes you stupid. There ain’t no way you’ll stop doing it forever. You’re a MAN, for Chrissakes.

ZACK

Well, she was convinced that only perverts and prisoners do it.

DENNY

Well did you tell her she was wrong?

ZACK

Well, I tried, but...what evidence do I really have?

DENNY

There’s plenty of documentation on the subject! Did Molly never think to just pick up a medical journal? Or a Penthouse?

ZACK

I don’t know! She seemed like really freakishly reluctant to talk about it. I doubt she’d seek out the facts on her own.

DENNY

Well if she’s got all these freakishly cockamamie ideas about how you’re supposed to behave, and she’s freakishly making you do shit you don’t wanna do, why are you still with her?

ZACK

Because she’s...because I wanna be.

DENNY

You wanna be with a girl who’s as severely sexually repressed as this?

ZACK

She’s not sexually repressed, believe me.

DENNY

Yeah, I think she is, if--

ZACK

Not when I’m with her.

DENNY

But what about when she’s with herself? She acts like she’s never done it, sure, but do you think maybe she has a little secret to hide?

ZACK

Nah.

DENNY

Why are you so sure?

ZACK

Because I trust her.

DENNY

Well she doesn’t trust you! She’s makin’ my dumb ass babysit you all weekend. Look my point is that the girl’s just wrong. Her outlook is warped and it’s warping you. And I think you owe it to yourself to show her that you’ll do whatever you damn well please. Play all the video games in the world.

ZACK

Well, that’s just not gonna happen.

DENNY

Is that so?
TITLE CARD: “11:01 p.m.”

INT. LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - NIGHT

Zack and Denny are watching TV on the couch. Most of the lights in the house are off and they’re bathed in the cathode ray glow. Empty pizza boxes and beer bottles are on the coffee table and the floor. Denny stirs and reaches for the TV guide.

DENNY

Oh hey, let’s see what’s on Skinemax.
Zack acts disinterested. Denny leafs through for a bit, and then:

DENNY

Nice! “Indecent Obsessions 3”! And we can just catch the beginning!
He picks up the remote and changes the channel. We can hear the dreamy sax and tasteful moans of soft-core porn. Denny stares at the screen with the intensity of a hungry wolf, grinning ever so slightly. Zack watches, trying to not let it affect him, but after a few moments he shifts uncomfortably in his seat.

DENNY

Now, I actually did catch the first two “Indecent Obsessions” movies, and it’s surprising because the second one really was kind of a sequel to the first one. It woulda been really hard to follow what was going on had I not seen them both.

ZACK

Denny. What’s going on is they’re fucking. It’s porn.

DENNY

Yeah, but why? Is it because they’re strangers and the mystery excites them? Is it because they’re trapped in a loveless marriage and looking for an escape? Is it because one of them’s a gardener? Or maybe all three? See, the specific fantasy is what matters. The mythical archetype. The virgin. The whore. The conquering hero. The cheerleader. It’s all so simple, yet it goes so deep. God, I love fuckin’ porn.
Zack gets up from the couch.

DENNY

Where you going? You’re gonna be lost for the rest of the movie.

ZACK

Bathroom.

DENNY
(falsetto, imitating Molly)

Make sure you don’t play with yourself in there now! Or I won’t love you anymore.

ZACK

Shuddup.
Zack exits the shot. Denny’s eyes widen at something onscreen.

DENNY

Hey, make sure you’re out in a few!
In the distance, we hear the bathroom door SLAM.

INT. BATHROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - NIGHT

Medium shot-framed from the waist up.

Zack unzips his fly and urinates. He stares up at the ceiling. He seems to be trying to clear something from his mind. After the last couple of drops, he hesitates just the tiniest instant, and then zips back up.

TITLE CARD: “Saturday 2:32 p.m.”

INT. BATHROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

Zack, wearing different clothes, framed in the same shot. Same activity--only he hesitates a little longer before zipping up. He looks at his watch and sighs. He walks out of the bathroom.

INT. HALLWAY, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

Zack walks toward the living room.

ZACK

Denny? You think of something to do yet?

DENNY (O.S.)

Yeah, actually.

ZACK

Cool.
INT. LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

Zack enters his living room to see porno mags strewn everywhere. On the couch, on the coffee table, on the floor. Easily fifty of them, probably many more. Denny is lying on his stomach on the floor leafing through a Hustler, kicking his legs like a schoolgirl.

ZACK

Where did all these come from? You just had them with you?

DENNY

Yep. Trunk of my car.

ZACK

Well, doesn’t that count as leaving the house?

DENNY

Well, did you jerk off in there?

ZACK

No.

DENNY

You know what? I believe you. You know why? ‘Cause you still look bad. Now what I was figuring was, we categorize them. We make a pile for the naked chicks, a pile for the het stuff, a pile for the lesbo stuff, a pile for the really kinky stuff, and then “other”. See, what I really need to be able to locate is the bestiality. I know there’s like at least two dogs and a monkey in here somewhere.

ZACK

All right. All right, fine, whatever. Just as long as we get it cleaned up before my parents get back.

DENNY

Hell, man, you can keep all these if you want. I mean, these are just my spares.
TITLE CARD: “Sunday 1:04 a.m.”

INT. LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - NIGHT

Denny is passed out on the sofa. Again, porn music and moans emanate from the TV. Zack is nowhere in sight.

INT. BATHROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - NIGHT

Here he is. He stands in front of the toilet, framed in the same shot as before, trying to talk himself out of it. His hands are below his waist, out of our view. He begins to move one of them. He closes his eyes. A warm sigh passes through him. His eyes snap open.

ZACK

Okay, didn’t count, didn’t count. I just touched it, I didn’t really do anything. I’m still good. Okay. Time to go to bed.
With great regret, he zips his pants.

TITLE CARD: “10:25 p.m.”

INT. ZACK’S BEDROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

Zack is asleep on his bed. He wakes up and stumbles out of bed. He’s visibly shaking, and the dark circles under his eyes imply he didn’t get much sleep despite the hour he’s getting up.

INT. ZACK’S LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

Zack stumbles in, bleary. Denny is on the sofa, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

DENNY

Morning glory. Shower yet?
INT. ZACK’S BATHROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

This is inside Zack’s head. It’s CLOSE-UPS of the inside of the shower--the faucets, the knobs, the nozzle. As phallic as possible. Then a slow ZOOM-IN on the soap.

INT. ZACK’S LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

ZACK

I better not.

DENNY

Fine.
He sniffs and coughs, hinting that Zack is a stinky boy.

TITLE CARD: “4:16 p.m.”

INT. KITCHEN, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

Zack and Denny have acquired a deck of nude playing cards, and they’re vigorously playing War at the kitchen table. This whole scene is shot in claustrophobic CLOSEUPS.

Denny SMACKS a card down. Ten. Zack SMACKS down another. Jack. Zack takes the two cards. The look in his eyes is something a little too intense. Denny SMACKS a card down. Seven. Zack SMACKS a card down. Three. Denny takes the two cards. Now Zack looks geniunely scary, but Denny looks unfazed. Zack SMACKS a card down. Eight. Denny SMACKS a card down. Eight. Denny’s eyes widen. Zack’s eyes light up. Both of them scramble madly to SLAP down four more cards in unison. At the end of Denny’s line is a queen. At the end of Zack’s...a jack. Zack POUNDS the table in frustration.

ZACK

FUUUUUUUCK!!!
TITLE CARD: “9:48 p.m.”

INT. LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - NIGHT

Zack sits on the couch. He’s far off somewhere; his mind is unfocused and simultaneously fixated. He wavers in and out, trying to ignore the sound that’s coming from the bathroom:

DENNY (O.S.)
(singing)

Oh, and when I spank my monkey
I sing the wanking song.
A ditty fun and funky
for playing with my dong.
Oh how nicely you have grown
my lovely little schlong,
but I wouldn’t be here all alone
INT. BATHROOM - NIGHT

Denny is sitting on the toilet, fully clothed--he’s just fucking with Zack’s head.

DENNY

if youuuuu were veeeeeryyyy loooooooooong!
INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

We hear a FLUSH, and a DOOR OPENING AND CLOSING. Denny comes back onto the scene.

DENNY

Oh, my little tune didn’t entice you to take matters into your own hands? Hmmm. Well how else could I convince you to make yourself happy?

ZACK

Just two more hours. That’s all. Just two hours.

DENNY

I’ve got it! I’ll just call Molly and ask her what her problem is!
He strides over to the phone. Zack looks in horror.

ZACK

Don’t! She’s hung up about it enough as it is!

DENNY

And I, for one, am curious why, aren’t you?
He picks up the receiver and begins dialing. Zack leaves the couch and walks to Denny.

ZACK

She’ll hang up on you!

DENNY

So what are you afraid of?

ZACK

Because she’ll never forgive me!

DENNY

Hi, Molly? It’s Denny. Listen, did you ever just take your finger and--
Zack TUGS the phone cord out of the wall.

ZACK

All right. I’ll do it. Is that what you want to hear?

DENNY

Isn’t that what you want to hear?
Zack doesn’t answer. He walks off toward the bathroom. Denny ushers him inside and Zack shuts the door. Denny leans against it.

DENNY

I’m really glad you decided to do it, man. No girl is worth putting yourself through this.
Inside, Zack (framed as he was before, not as Denny just was) has his face in his hands. He’s torn.

DENNY (O.S.)

So, I think you should just dump her tonight. I mean, why wait until the morning?
Cut to Denny, outside.

DENNY

Don’t let it seem like she got the better of you. Just tell her you’re not gonna take--

ZACK (O.S.)

Could you shut up, please?
Cut to inside. Zack is staring at the toilet. It’s huge, taunting him.

DENNY

Sure, man.
We hear Denny walking away, whistling his song.

ZACK
(whispered, to himself)

I can’t think straight! If I just do it, then... it’ll be done and I can go on with my fucking life.
He takes a deep breath and unzips his fly. He begins to masturbate, slowly at first, then quickly, then very quickly. We can hear the tiniest BUZZ of light fixtures, and the CRICKETS outside. His whole face is screwed up. He’s moving his arm faster and faster and then--

He shudders, and his eyes slowly open. We hear PLOPS in the toilet. He’s looking down at the toilet and himself with an almost detached air. He doesn’t seem to have experienced any pleasure. His face forms into a frown.

He POUNDS the wall with his fist (not the fist he was masturbating with).

ZACK

What the hell! That sucked!
CREDITS--WRITER, DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, CINEMATOGRAPHER

VERY UPBEAT MUSIC on the credits--Latin, with lots of horns. Over the D.P. credit we hear the BEEP of an answering machine. We go back into the film. The music remains low under:

INT. LIVING ROOM, MOLLY’S HOUSE - DAY

Start with a CU of the answering machine. Then go into a series of shots of all the rooms in Molly’s house, empty of people.

INT. MOLLY’S BEDROOM - DAY

INT. MOLLY’S PARENTS’ BEDROOM - DAY

INT. PETEY’S BEDROOM - DAY

INT. MOLLY’S KITCHEN - DAY

INT. MOLLY’S LIVING ROOM - DAY

We start static, then pan around to see the answering machine on an end table. Molly and PETEY, her 10-year-old brother, are flanking it, listening. Under all this, we hear:

ZACK (O.S.)
(on answering machine tape)

Hi, Molly, it’s me. I, uh, I wasn’t able to do it. I...played video games last night. But the thing is...I’m not sorry. I mean, for some reason, it was like the worst game I ever played in my life, but still, putting myself under all this pressure is just not worth it. And while we were together and I was playing video games all the time and you didn’t know about it, they were great. They were great games. When I was thinking about you. So, I love you, Molly, but if you have to control my life to be a part of it, I’d just rather say...goodbye.
BEEP.

PETEY

What kind of video games is he talking about playing?

MOLLY

The same kind you play, Petey.
CREDITS--ACTORS

Under the last credit, we hear a different BEEP and then we’re back in again:

INT. LIVING ROOM, ZACK’S HOUSE - DAY

This time it’s Zack’s answering machine. He’s standing watching it with his arms folded. He’s making her come to him.

MOLLY

Hi, Zack. Look, I think I might have been a little bit of a bitch. I mean, I thought I was doing the right thing, but how do I know for sure? I mean, nobody ever talks about...video games...so...how do I know what’s normal? But you seem to know just what you’re doing. Look, I know I might have seemed a little hung up or whatever but the other day I kind of accidentally walked in on my brother...like doing that...and it really weirded me out. I don’t know. But listen. I know you sounded kind of mad. I mean I think I never heard you that mad before. It was kind of...sexy. So listen, if you’re not doing anything, give me a call, because I want you to come over so we can, uh...watch some baseball.
Zack raises his eyebrows and grins. We hear the CRACK of the bat and the crowd ROARING.

CREDITS--the rest of them.

Node Your Homework